|Yard work||Plants, Beekeeping|
Dug up the syrup cane and replanted chewing cane where needed. Painted the shims, consolidated Brown Roundel and Argent. Argent was queenless and weak. It looks like they raised a queen, there were chewed out queen cells but there is no way she got mated this time of year. Did the lawn mower maintenance.|
|The apple trees are broken||Plants|
So for 5 years the apple trees bloomed in March and fruited in July. Then we failed to have winter two years in a row so they bloomed in January, got all the buds killed by freezes in Feb and produced no fruit. More bloom followed at random times during those years. Yesterday I noticed an apple on one of the trees. Its Dec. 6 months from when the tree should have apples. Its completely broken.|
Cut the cane today. The Syrup can did the best, and I have no use for it since it cant be chewed. The CP 31-511 produced only 1 stalks. The red ribbon can about 3 times that. I dont think I'm going to replant the syrup cane. All the 31-511 is going to have to replanted if I want any of it next year.|
|Rebuilt grape trellis||Plants|
Rebuilt the second of the grape trellises. did the first one a few weeks ago. Several of the old posts were rotted, eaten from the side or about to break off at ground level so it was time to replace them as well as the cross bars that broke.
|Solar Eclipse||Astronomy, Photos|
Went to Alligator Point for the dawn solar eclipse Sunday morning. It was very low since it was already happening at sunrise and only lasted 10 min.
|Master beekeeping progam||Beekeeping|
I passed the first level of the master beekeeper program Thursday at the Florida beekeepers convention in Chipley. 2 days of driving out there and back each night. |
|Weather station problems again||Computer/Web pages|
The temperature and rain gauges went down in June because of excessive rain. Ive replaced both solar panels but still having problems with the rain one. It works for a while but doesnt seem to hold a charge all night, even with a new battery and wont come up in the morning. Doesnt seem to matter which solar charger is used.
Then last week the UPS for the computer getting the readings started beeping like crazy at 3am. Its off and I keep forgetting to look at it and fix it, or replace it so there are no readings coming off the system. This whole thing is a constant problem.|
|Not worth the time||Plants|
The weed whacker broke a month ago it wont start. Took it to the authorized repair shop across town. They had it for a week and decide its broken and need the receipt to submit a warranty claim. Trip #2 across town. Its now been gone 2 weeks. No word on week 3. One week 4 I call and get told they have record of it and I need to bring in the ticket. A second call the next Monday and they find it. Its ready for pickup. Trip #3 across town. They hand me the weed whacker in a box disassembled and a piece of paper and say to take it back where I got it and get a new one (paid for that's the paper). Cant do that during lunch its across town the other way. Also need to return the original head not the 3rd party one on it now. So tomorrow a 4th trip across town to get a new weed whacker. I could have just bought a new one a month ago for about $100 saved a lot of hassle and been able to weed whack the yard.
and let me add that Troy built doesn't have an email on their pages to complain about their horrible warranty process.|
|Fixed it||Computer/Web pages, Plants|
Fixed the plants database entry pages that no one sees but me. Now I can update the plants pages that have been outdated since spring.|